Going out to a restaurant with a child regularly poses dilemmas like, “What will they eat”, “Does the menu have dishes that interest my child?”, “How will my child behave in front of others?”, “What will my child do while we eat?” So much so, that a simple meal outside becomes a stressful project in itself. To make this task a little easier, I have listed below a few restaurants in Chennai I frequent when I know children are in the entourage. While there may be many more, these come to my mind instantly.
- Ciclo café – This bicycle themed eatery stands out in the middle of the buzzing city. It has an endearing ambience, friendly staff and an amazing bakery. Once there, you can even browse bicycles and related gadgets and accessories for your next purchase. Kids enjoy the setting and get fascinated by cycles hanging on the walls. Food is delicious and the menu offers enough variety to get the kids excited.
Location – Kotturpuram
Cuisine – Café, Italian, American
- Double roti – This place boasts of burgers with a twist of Indian flavours. It is a big hit with kids because of their variety of burgers and fries. Mocktails and shakes are extremely interesting as well! They have a whole section on Maggie with toppings. The warm staff makes the overall experience enriching.
Location – Outlets in Neelankarai, Teynampet & Anna Nagar East
Cuisine – Café, American, Fast food
- Beach club – Overlooking the neelankarai beach this place is great for evenings in the summer months. There is a lovely breeze blowing with a view of the beach. The restaurant has a swimming pool which draws a lot of people during the summer months. I kept my son’s 5th birthday as a pool party here and it worked out great. They have both indoor and outdoor seating and take party orders.
Location – Neelankarai
Cuisine – Continental
- Jonah’s outlets – They serve delicious pizzas which can make kids salivate. Their menu has a good range to choose from. Decor is interesting and there are good sea food options available as well for variety.
Location – Outlets in Palavakkam, Velachery, Besant nagar, Alwarpet & Anna Nagar east
Cuisine – Italian
- Cream centre – A big draw for vegetarians! Cream centre offers a number of dishes to choose from, well prepared and satisfying the Indian palette.
Location – Outlets in RA Puram, Nungambakkam& Anna Nagar East
Cuisine – North Indian, Italian & Mexican
- The Flying Elephant, Park Hyatt – For luxury dining with kids, this is excellent. The staff takes extra care of children and is flexible on menu options for them. The servers often break out into a spontaneous rhythmic dance with catchy music playing in the background. My child enjoyed this performance thoroughly and calls it the “dancing” restaurant.
Location – Guindy
Cuisine – Fine dining multi cuisine
- Little Italy – If you are looking for nice Italian vegetarian food, this restaurant has good variety and fast service.
Location – Outlets in Palavakkam, Besant Nagar, Teynampet & Anna Nagar West
Cuisine – Italian & Mexican
- Writer’s Café – Quick service, variety of books to engage the children and pocket friendly – all in one place! It is a library turned into a café and the energy and vibes are amazing. Children get to taste square pizzas here.
Location – Gopalapuram
Cuisine – Café, European
- Tryst – A happy place with fresh baked goods, amazing breakfast options and delicious pizza. We have visited this place several times with our son and he loves it. If the weather is conducive, you can sit outdoors with cats purring by your side.
Location – Neelankarai
Cuisine – Café, Continental, Fast food
- The Farm – An extraordinary experience for kids where you park the car in the cow shed, spot chickens and turkey while walking to the restaurant and hear birds chirping while you are eating. It has rustic decor under an open shed and offers proximity to nature and a kid friendly ambience.
Location – Semmancheri
Cuisine – North Indian, Pizza
A good restaurant experience with children sometimes becomes hard to find. Try some of these places and they will pleasantly surprise you. Share with me any restaurants that you may have tried and liked!
This article was first published on Kreative Mommy.